Semantic Romantics

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 Edit This 0 Comments »
I was reading a fantastic piece on semantics, and the power of words in journalism by Robert Fisk

http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/2010/05/201052574726865274.html

It got me thinking... Conformity is everywhere, we can conform to these rules that were decided upon years ago, or we can make it our own. Why is grammar necessary? Well, the way I was taught, was that it was, basically, to make things easier; if everything was the same that consistency would lead to a greater common understanding, it would be easier to learn, etc. (granted at this point in time a lot of parts of society did not have access to education or the books in question). I mean yes, having read Leviathan, I do appreciate having a common spelling for things, but when it comes to structure, and even sentence structure, I think we need to push the boundaries and be aware that by playing by the rules we run into many of the same problems as trying to go against them.

I really liked how Fisk warned against spell check, or the specific journalistic guidelines, because that pigeonholes us into using the same semantics as ‘the system’. Language, words, writing, music, art, ect. Are tools for all people to use to express themselves, a tool to challenge the system and redefine our own culture? We can’t begin to question ourselves or the way we do things if we consistently fall in line.

I realize how many holes are within my own argument. I mean, spelling and grammar is there because without it there would be chaos! I’ve heard that line before, it’s bullshit. Chaos can be beautiful and can be done in a professional matter. By adhering too strictly to rules created by the system we are fighting, we will never re-claim our own culture. Language is very powerful, and should be constantly evolving. I wouldn’t recommend that a novice writer start with challenging some of the systematic restrictions, but they should never fear them, or feel that they have to conform their art in order to reach a greater audience. There is a time and place for each comma, but there is a time and place to challenge the nature in which we express ourselves, identify some of the obstacles, and let language breathe.
So I am going to randomly place commas and see what happens. Could be fun.

0 comments: